The Putnam Humane Society is a not for profit animal shelter located in Putnam County New York. We were founded in 1957 by Marjorie Jenkins who started the society in a small barn on Nichols Street. We moved to our current location on Old Route 6 behind Putnam Plaza in the mid seventies. We've expanded and improved throughout the years, and continue to grow to meet the needs of our community and pet population as funds permit.
We are contracted by Carmel, Patterson (secondary) , Philipstown and Southeast to provide shelter services for lost and stray dogs that are brought to us by the dog control officers and the public from these towns under New York State Agriculture & Markets law.
We are funded by the above contracts, Putnam County, membership dues and the donations and goodwill of the public at large. We do not receive any funding from the ASPCA or any national Humane Societies. All donations are 100% tax deductible.
The shelter is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors that is elected by the membership. The current board members (as of July 25, 2013) are: